I think it depends on the volume of your ordering and the level of demand for "immediate" use. If a WorldCat/Connexion record is poor or non-existent, we do "quick-and-dirty" cataloging with the best record that can be found -- just enough to be able to identify it and charge it out. When there is a lull in the demand, you can get it back and do a more thorough job.

You might consider getting your videos from Midwest Tape or Action! Library Media Service. We do not use either one at this time, but it is my understanding that both companies supply catalog records.

Don't call yourself "worthless," but since you are Media Collection Development, it would serve you well to know the basics in terms of cataloging policies & practices. Your retiree's replacement will likely need someone to consult.

And you're right: I wanted to be a cataloger when I was in library school back in the 1970s. The instruction back then was terrible, and perhaps it is even worse now. This is unfortunate: cataloging is a really important job but not a very sexy one. It's a wonder that any new graduates want to do it.