Gary,

What do you mean by "done him wrong"

The original email is a well-known scam that takes several forms.  This is a
variation of the scam Snopes calls "The Family Way"
http://www.snopes.com/fraud/distress/family.asp

Snopes recommends when receiving such a plea to contact the individual using
the email/phone you already have.  In all liklihood they are safely at home.

I was stranded in London coming home from a short vacation after presenting at
the Grey Literature conference in Prague, December 2010.  When I sent some
emails to friends, some responded asking if I was truly stranded or if this was
the stranded traveler scam.

-deg

Poor Theo...I done him wrong.