Yes, thank you for your work on this project Gary.  I recognize several of
these titles as well.

Besides RAI, a stateside source for these two Disappearing World titles (for a
few dollars less) is Penn State Media Sales:

http://mediasales.psu.edu/disappearing_world/index.html

Brian Boling.

On Jun 14, 2012, at 6:10 PM, Deborah Benrubi wrote:

> Thank you so much for this, Gary. I recognize a lot of titles for which I've
> repeatedly searched.
>
> I noticed a film on the list that I purchased recently (NTSC) from the Royal
> Anthropological Institute of Great Britain and Ireland:
> http://www.therai.org.uk/fs/film-sales/the-kayapo-out-of-the-forest/
>
> and it looks like this one is also available from the Institute
> http://www.therai.org.uk/fs/film-sales/the-mende/
>  Deborah Benrubi
> Technical Services Librarian
> University of San Francisco
> Gleeson Library|Geschke Center
> 2130 Fulton St.
> San Francisco, CA 94117
>
> ph. 415.422.5672
> fax 415.422.2233
>
> On 6/14/2012 2:51 PM, ghand...@library.berkeley.edu wrote:
>>
>> Hi all
>>
>> I've recently sent in our final, phase II report regarding Berkeley's
>> participation in the Mellon Videos at Risk Project.  If you'll remember,
>> this is a project to develop best practices for:  1) identifying items in
>> library video collections that are currently out of distribution and which
>> show some signs of physical deterioration 2) researching current
>> availability of these items in the commercial market (i.e.
>> mechanisms/procedures for demonstrating good-faith attempts at meeting the
>> broad "fair market" stipulations of copyright section 108) 3) broad
>> practices and standards for both preservation and access digitization of
>> materials identified as qualifying for allowances of Section 108.
>>
>> The sources we consulted:
>>
>> a.   Google & OCLC:
>>         i.   Video title
>>         ii.  Production company name
>>         iii. Director name(s)
>>         iv.  Producer name(s)
>> b.   Facebook, Linkedin
>> c.    amazon US (amazon will be consulted for the availability of
>> non-fiction titles in home video distribution)
>> d.   videolib listserv (an international discussion list for video
>> librarians that currently has over 1,200 subscribers, including
>> librarians, archivists, educators, filmmakers and film/video distributors
>> e.   US Copyright Registry (for post-1978 titles)
>>

>> We are generally looking at non-fiction titles and performance works
>> (rather than theatrical movies).  We are also going to have to come to
>> grips with the current restrictions placed by 108 on where/how reproduced
>> materials may be used and how these materials may be delivered.  (the
>> project is working with an excellent legal guy on these issues)
>>
>> In any case, I promised deg I'd put out Berkeley's list of materials
>> identified as being out of distribution/at risk.  It is attached.
>>
>> It should be noted that Berkeley took a considerably different tact in
>> pursuing this project than NYU.  The grant formally called for
>> investigating at risk materials in partner collection held by 3 or fewer
>> institutions in the US.  Early on, Berkeley decided instead to look at at-
> [...]

Brian Boling
Media Services and Digital Production Librarian
Temple University Libraries
brian.bol...@temple.edu