From: videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Richard Graham
Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2012 10:27 AM
To: cams...@lists.carleton.edu
Cc: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] Institutional Pricing for DVDs rant

Fellow camslib/videolib folks,

A faculty member recently requested we acquire a film titled White Scripts and
Black Supermen: Black Masculinities in Comic Books.  At the site to purchase
it, the dreaded tiered pricing plan appears
(http://newsreel.org/video/WHITE-SCRIPTS-BLACK-SUPERMEN), with public and
school libraries allowed to buy it for $25, while colleges have to spend nearly
$200. They claim if you purchase the home video version, you are not granted
rights to show the film in classrooms. Now, I'm not a lawyer, but these sort of
statements don't sound right to me. A colleague mentioned that some publishers
do this because they need funds to cover future productions and it's a way for
large institutions to subsidize independent documentaries, but I can't help
feel offended that they use these scare tactics and assume colleges can easily
absorb these large costs. I'm probably late to the party on this topic, but I
wonder what your thoughts are. Does anyone try to work with
publishers/producers to make
  these sort of materials more affordable? How do you all handle these sort of
acquisition situations?

Cheers from Nebraska,

Richard