First they came for the 16mm films, then they came for the VHS tapes . . .
Some VHS titles will never be available on DVD.
Call a meeting/symposium/focus group-IT should not be able to make a decision
like this without discussing with other constituencies (Library, faculty, etc.)

From: videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Hutchison, Jane
Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2012 11:27 AM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Confronting a campus wide VHS DEATH Deadline

At the CCUMC conference last week in Las Vegas there was an excellent workshop
on VHS Retirement: Strategies from Multiple Institutions.  Also discussion from
a variety of perspectives from going analog to digital as well as discussion in
the Collection Development and Management Interest Group.  Our proceedings will
be online shortly.  This may be one way to begin, that is, to get a variety of
perspectives and strategies.

At our institution, we are not removing VHS/DVD players from our classrooms.
We still have a number in stock when one goes, we replace.  We too have a large
VHS collection to support.  Slowly, I have been replacing our most popular
titles on DVD or streaming whenever possible.  It is a slow task and also an
expensive one to say the least.  This is a much larger transition than when we
went from ¾" to VHS because VHS has been in existence much longer and the
titles were relatively cheap so our collections blew up in size.

I would encourage you to have VHS players on hand for faculty to check out to
take to the classrooms to connect and use as needed if they indeed are being
removed.  You can try to ask IT to keep them in the rooms as long as they are
operational.  When they die, that's when they replace them.

Consider going to CCUMC next year as I'm sure it might be helpful in dealing
with these issues.  The conference will be held in Chicago.

Regards, Jane

Jane B. Hutchison
Associate Director
Instruction & Research Technology