Hi Rhonda,

I haven’t personally seen this, but here’s a Cinema Guild title we reviewed
that deals with patient-therapist issues:

March/April 2012 (Volume 27, Issue 2)

People in White
(2011) 64 min. In Dutch w/English subtitles. DVD: $99.95: public libraries;
$295: colleges & universities. The Cinema Guild. PPR. ISBN: 0-7815-1392-8.
Instead of featuring psychiatrists talking about their patients, Dutch
directors Tellervo Kalleinen and Oliver Kochta-Kalleinen’s People in White
alternates between scenes of patients re-enacting their conversations with
therapists and sharing their experiences in a group context. Although six of
the participants are patients, the other four are actors. Some say they prefer
a casual relationship with their doctor, while others want to maintain a
professional one. Margreet (Ellen van Rossum) initially thought her
psychiatrist looked like “the crazy one,” but she continued to see him for the
next 20 years. After undergoing electroshock therapy, Margreet’s depression
disappeared, along with a portion of her memory; now, the 54-year-old can't
work, but she believes it was a necessary sacrifice. Fabio, a schizophrenic,
also credits his doctor for bringing him back into the light, but others’
recollections aren't so pleasant. Kees says he goes through a bar of soap daily
due to obsessive-compulsive disorder, but his psychiatrist sees him more as a
collection of symptoms than a human being. And when Mieke, who takes lithium
for manic depression, complained about side effects, her therapist dismissed
her concerns; her subsequent acting out earned her a stint in the isolation
ward. Peter (Hugo Maerten), who suffers from bipolar disorder, has also had
difficulty in getting his doctors to listen to him. In the most discomfiting
segment here, a doctor acts inappropriately with Loes (Christine van Stralen),
which only worsens her psychological state. While the mix of real patients and
actors may be unusual, the directors do successfully raise valid questions
about doctor-patient relationships. Recommended. Aud: C, P. (K. Fennessy)

Best,

Randy

Randy Pitman
Publisher/Editor