From: videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Mary Lou Neighbour
Sent: Friday, May 10, 2013 11:15 AM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] What is in a name?!

This is a shout out to all of you video/media/audiovisual librarians...  Could
you please tell me what you call your library or area of the library or college?

The background is this - since the College's existence in 1964, we have been
called the Audiovisual or AV Library.  I am the Audiovisual Librarian and we
have an Audiovisual Administrative Assistant.  However, we have just had a
renovation of the entire library, and the Audiovisual Library has been left off
of the new signage - we are not in directories, and there are no individual
signs.  No one knows where we are now that we have moved location!!

The reason seems to be that the administrators of the College think that
Audiovisual is a dated term.  They would prefer something sexy, evidently, but
they don't know what.  Actually, I think that the administration would be
happiest if we went entirely to streaming!!  We in the library still have a
number of video tapes, cds, and many dvds which are heavily used by faculty and
students.  And we have viewing equipment.

One proposal is Media Services - tho that has a bad connotation here on campus,
as that used to be the department creating media productions and delivering
equipment on campus.  It had a poor reputation.  Multimedia Services is taken
by our IT department.  I personally would like to keep Audiovisual Library but
I don't think that our Library Director is going to go with that.  Could you
please tell me what you are called, or if you have any ideas for sexy,
forward-thinking titles?

Thanks so much!!

Mary Lou Neighbour
AV Librarian/Assistant Professor
Montgomery County Community College
340 DeKalb Pike
Blue Bell, PA 19422
mneig...@mc3.edu<mailto:mneig...@mc3.edu>  215-619-7355

Montgomery County Community College is proud to be designated as an Achieving
the Dream Leader College for its commitment to student access and success.