Sorry but those "limitations" do not change the fact that ACRL AND Brenden
Butler in a public session say it was entirely legal to  steam ALL of
CITIZEN KANE ( which is legally available to license from Swank) because it
was made for "entertainment" and was now being used for "education" and
that made it tranformative. There was no special "pedagogical use" use
suggested. It was perfectly clear that he said any feature film being used
in a class could be legally steamed in its entirety under "fair use" Does
he not speak for ACRL?  I know of many schools streaming entire feature
films without ever bothering to check with license or pay copyright
holders. If this is NOT the position of ACRL than I suggest someone have
Mr. Butler explain  why he said so AND avoided the corollary issue of if
this would not also be true of written materials. I am not making this up.
Either ACRL and ALA believe it is legal to stream a feature film ( for a
class limited to the students enrolled) without a license or they don't and
so far one of their top guys says they do. If one argues that streaming an
entire film  to students for a class is legal because it is
transformativeto take "entertainment"  material and use it for
"educational" purposes it
surely follows that this can be applied to any material an educational
institution uses even if Mr. Butler flat out refused to answer the
question.

I sincerely appreciate that Middlebury is doing the right thing but I am
not a nut job and in fact believe very strongly in legitimate "fair use"
but I also work with filmmakers who have seen there works ripped off by the
very institutions they trusted and sadly because of financial pressures
from the top more institutions seem to do this