I recently saw this statement in a video distributor's promotional literature
that took me for surprise:

"on average more than ~45% of DVDs acquired by the libraries are checked out
less than 4 times over the course of their lifetime"

That seemed remarkably inaccurate to me.  So decided to check our own data for
comparison.  To test I looked at the data for DVDs added to the ASU Libraries
collections before July 1, 2009.  So the N in the data means that the DVDs have
been available at minimum 5 years.

ASU Libraries has 2 major video collections.  Use data breaks down as follows:

Collection 1
3283 DVDs
# borrowed 5 times or more:  2710
% borrowed 5 times or more:  82.5 %

Collection 2
2997 DVDs
# borrowed 5 times or more: 1904
% borrowed 5 times or more:  63.5 %

Aggregated
6280  DVDs
# circulated 5 times or more:  4614
% borrowed 5 times or more:  73.5 %

Related data:

Average number of loans per item:
Collection 1:  27
Collection 2:  14
Aggregated:  21

And I toss in here the data for DVDs never borrowed… for comparison to the same
data for monographs in college/university libraries that show a non-circ rate
of 40-60%

Number of DVDs / Percentage NEVER borrowed
Collection 1:  170 / 5.2%
Collection 2:  287 / 9.6%
Aggregated:  457 / 7.3%

The original statement was not cited so I don't know where the source of the
data.  It is possible that it reflects a closed collection in which only
faculty are allowed to borrow videos, or the videos can be used only in the
Library/library classroom….  OR it is possible that the collection from which
the base data was collected is a collection that does not match the
curriculum/interest/ or need of the faculty/students.

As I indicated in the start of the message, the statement surprised me…. How
might my data and/or the quoted figure compare to your experiences.