From: videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Jo Ann Reynolds
Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2015 12:16 PM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] old vhs tapes

At the University of Connecticut this is the process we follow. Since it is
labor intensive and time consuming we invoke section 108 sparingly.

1.       Determine if the VHS is damaged, deteriorating, lost or stolen.

2.       Document damage, deterioration. This checklist developed by Kenneth
Crews useful for ensuring i's are dotted and t's are crossed.
http://copyright.columbia.edu/copyright/files/2009/10/copyrightchecklist108preservation.pdf

3.       If found to be damaged/deteriorating, conduct due diligence search for
evidence of new VHS or DVD for sale at a reasonable price. We use this
checklist (Creative Commons license), http://aladinrc.wrlc.org/handle/1961/16025

4.       If no new VHS or DVD is found for sale then a DVD is made from the VHS.

5.       The VHS goes to our archive and does not circulate.

6.       The DVD goes on permanent reserve. The case is clearly marked,
"Section 108 Copy: In Building Circulation Only. This material was reproduced
under the provisions of Section 108 of United States Copyright Law and may be
protected by copyright." "For use at UConn Libraries only. No InterLibrary
Loan. Does not include public performance rights but may be used in the
classroom." "Preservation copy of Archival VHS. Not to be used outside of the
Library."

7.       The catalog record includes this statement, "For Use at UConn
Libraries only. No Interlibrary Loan. Does not include public performance
rights but may be used in the classroom." And the permanent location is "Sec108
Copy (Reserve)". The catalog record for the VHS indicates the location as
"Sec108 Original (@Dodd)", our archive.

Best,
Jo Ann

Jo Ann Reynolds