Laura,

My minor was dance history and my paper was on Dance on Film and TV so it
kind of led me into the film world as well. Milestone's mandate, however,
is in restoration so I've only dealt with older titles and choreographers.
(Anna Sokolow last year, now I'm helping out on a filmmaker who did several
dance films in the 1930s).

My guess is that like art films, that most dance films are niche and only
the most popular filmmakers/choreographers make it into distribution. (Wim
Wenders with Pina) For the other films, 99% of the money is from
educational so a lot of distributors don't even do theatrical distribution
of these films. I've seen several dance films in the past few years that
could have done well but never saw distribution.

The biggest reason could very well be that the major newspapers and media
stopped covering most dance over a decade ago which has really hurt. The
other obvious answer is that there's a huge amount live dance and
aficionados probably prefer that.

By the way, if you haven't seen *Angel Reapers* yet, you should come up to
NYC and see it! It's one of Martha Clarke's really great works.

Best regards,
Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video
PO Box 128 / Harrington Park, NJ 07640