Andy
I dont think the issue was association to the library but commercial Vs Non
profit but I am not disagreeing with you in general. "fair use" absolutely
applies to commercial as well as non profit but it is a bit more restricted
however again other than the publicity rights celebrity exception I am hard
pressed to think of any instance where 5 seconds of a 60 minute film would
not be "fair use" . Actually I just thought of one more maybe if it was
literally being used in a commercial but again in 99.9% of cases "fair use"
would cover 5 seconds of a film for either academic or commercial use.