The optimist in me hopes DuVernay’s advocacy for non-profit screenings, and
Netflix’s apparent agreement to facilitate such use, will kick-start a new .edu
friendly approach to provide access to restrictively licensed content. However,
my more realistically grounded experience with trying to negotiate with
Amazon.com, Universal Music Group, and Apple for .edu access to online-only
music, gives me reason to doubt a new trend is in the works (e.g., see
http://bit.ly/1k5QpEZ). I hope I’m wrong.

I like the idea of working with ALA’s Digital Content & Libraries Working Group
(DCWG), creators of the “ebook license scorecard.” While they focus on the
e-book issue, their charge isn’t limited to print. That said, they probably
won’t focus on audio/video unless we advocate. When ALA Mid-Winter was last in
Seattle (2013), I went to the DCWG meeting and spoke up about the online-only
media issue. Carrie Russell (Director, ALA Program on Public Access to
Information) and Cliff Lynch (CNI) were there, and both (among many others)
have been very supportive of raising awareness about the issue—-and seeking a
range of solutions (e.g., not just paying increasingly unaffordable licensing
costs).

Erika Linke and Carolyn Anthony are now DCWG co-chairs.

Do we need our own scorecard for streaming media providers, even if they
already provide .edu access?

I’m glad to see so many riled up about this issue. Advocacy leads to change!

- John

John Vallier
Head, Distrib Media Svcs
Affl Asst Prof, Ethnomusicology
U of Washington Libraries, Media Lab+Arcade
http://guides.lib.uw.edu/research/vallier