Hey,

 >> I started going through the code, and you're right, the change isn't
>> very large. But it makes sense to split it up as you describe, to keep
>> the different semantics different, and same semantics shared (ie, to
>> make sure the concepts are as clear as possible). I also have another
>> motivation for splitting it up: it would make mapping NumPy/Python
>> scalar types to ViennaCL types much more natural, and I could avoid a
>> lot of duplication.
>
> I had a go at patching ViennaCL as I described, and pushed up the two
> revisions to my pyviennacl repo on github. A patch, excluding the bits
> touching pyvienacl and the CMake stuff for my system, is attached
> below. I didn't add any extra types or enums, so there's nothing
> grouping SYMBOLIC_VECTOR_TYPE_FAMILY with VECTOR_TYPE_FAMILY; it didn't
> seem necessary to clear up the code in that way. Of course, everything
> compiles as before; but I wasn't sure how to run the tests (despite
> figuring it out before), so I haven't checked those for runtime errors..
>
> Oddly, when I fixed up my wrapper to deal with the changes, I noticed a
> slight decrease in overhead (~10-20us)..
>
> Anyway, do tell me your thoughts.

Thanks, I applied this already. Tests still pass. You can easily test
this yourself by 'make'ing inside build/tests/ and then calling the
respective executables. The scheduler tests are
   scheduler_vector-test-cpu
   scheduler_vector-test-opencl
   scheduler_vector-test-cuda
   scheduler_matrix-test-cpu
   scheduler_matrix-test-opencl
   scheduler_matrix-test-cuda
with CUDA and OpenCL tests only available with the actual backend
enabled. For the scheduler it should suffice to test only one of the
backends, though...

@Philippe: Please pull the changes into your generator code. I'm still
interested in your opinion on the SYMBOLIC_VECTOR and whether you need a
separate enum value for this.

Best regards,
Karli