Hi Toby,

> I get a lot of errors like the below when I enable T = char (or other
> integer numeric types) in PyViennaCL. The error always comes down to the
> "request for member 'handle' in 'val'". Previously, it was in the
> context of arithmetical functions like addition or element_pow, but here
> it seems to be in the context of the copy constructor. I'm not sure why;
> the code in question is:

There are tests for viennacl::vector<int> and viennacl::vector<long>
checking the full set of reasonable operations. Similar for matrix<>. I
haven't checked vector<char> and vector<short> explicitly yet, as they
require some work in the tests to avoid overflows.

> I wanted to enable integer types for pencils-down, hoping that all I'd
> have to do is add a macro describing the class, but it might be more
> than I can fit in.

There are still a lot of technical difficulties in supporting arbitrary
combinations of different integer types. One of them is that pow() does
not support integers in OpenCL. I suggest that for the initial release
you disable integers per default.

Best regards,
Karli