I'm sure Philippe wanted to send this to viennacl-devel ;-)

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        Re: [ViennaCL-devel] How to use multiple cores/CPUs
Date:   Sun, 15 Dec 2013 16:58:14 +0800
From:   Philippe Tillet <phil.til...@gmail.com>
To:     Karl Rupp <r...@iue.tuwien.ac.at>

Hello,

This is still experimental, but you can pull the feature in the branch
"feature-blas_linking", Albert. The tests all pass so it should be
stable enough for basic usages. You just need to define
VIENNACL_WITH_CBLAS, and link your program with openblas. On my laptop,
I observed 300x speed-ups on GEMM. I'm running on a core i5 2410m @
2.3GHz, so the peak is : 2.3 (Freq) * 2 (Cores) * 8 (AVX) * 2 (Mul-add)
= 72GFlop/s,and ViennaCL with OpenBlas linking gives me 69.5Gflop/s .
Pretty impressive. (Comparatively, the basic single-threaded or strided
implementation leads to 0.2Gflop/s)

Best regards,
Philippe

2013/12/14 Karl Rupp <r...@iue.tuwien.ac.at <mailto:r...@iue.tuwien.ac.at>>

     Hi,

      > It seems like there is another big problem with the use of SSE, it

         cannot account for strides and offset. So probably it should
only be
         used when stride=1 and start=0. Since we would provide
         blas-linking, I
         don't know if checking the strides and the starts accordingly is
         worth
         the code bloat it would induce...

     Strictly speaking, it also requires aligned allocations (which we
     don't check for), internal row/column length being a multiple of 2
     or 4 (which we usually have, but not always), and sizes being
     multiples of 2 or 4. Lots of constraints. The code still has some
     value, so I don't want to throw it away. Instead, I'm hoping for the
     day where somebody gets motivated extending and maintaining this.
     :-) However, I think that at the moment there are more urgent things
     to do, e.g. linking with other BLAS libraries.

     Best regards,
     Karli