Uday S Reddy at 11:41 +0100 on May 18, 2011:
 > r...@knighten.org writes:
 >
 > > I downloaded vm-8.2.0a.tgz and untarred it without issue, but the directory
 > > vm-8.2.0a and everything in it were owned by 1004:513.  After fixing that I
 > > discovered that the configure file could not be executed.  I solved that by
 > > using "sh ~/configure".
 >
 > I have no idea why any of these should happen.  I just downloaded it and did
 > a build on a CentOS machine, and it didn't run into any of these problems.
 > I can't do `make install' to system directories on this departmental
 > machine.  But using my home directory as the `--prefix' option, everything
 > got installed fine.  I am attaching the output from `make install' below.
 >
 > Perhaps, other Linux users on the list can share their experience?
 > Ulrich, are you online?

It's owned by 1004:513 because you ran tar as root for some reason.
This is expected.  Why do you care that it's 1004:513 rather than some
other arbitrary ownership (0:0 may be what you were expecting I
presume)?  If you always want 0:0, then use a tar option to enforce
that.

When I use gtar or bsdtar to extract the tarball, configure has
execute permissions whether I extract as root or a regular user.

 > > But attempting to use the new version of VM I
 > > immediately found that it could not use qp-decode - the error message being
 > > that qp-decode could not be found.  In a shell I determined that using the
 > > rejected path given in the error message I could run qp-decode.  After a
 > > small
 > > amount of time trying to locate the problem I simply moved all the relevant
 > > programs to /usr/local/bin, changed and recompiled .vm and that problem
 > > went
 > > away.  But now with any multipart mime program with a plain text part
 > > (us-ascii or utf-8) the plain text would simply not be displayed.  Spending
 > > some time reading the NEWS and inspecting my .vm was no productive so I
 > > simply
 > > reverted to version 8.1.0 and all is again well.
 >
 > Note that you don't need to do `make install' to use VM.  The INSTALL file
 > gives you instructions on how to use it directly from the directory where
 > you build VM.
 >
 > Cheers,
 > Uday

qp-decode and friends installed fine for me on linux and freebsd.

As Uday said, you can install as a regular user if you use 'configure
--prefix=/some/where/writable/by/user'.  But 'sudo make install' with
default configure settings worked as expected (by default installing
to <prefix>/bin).

As far as your multipart mime email issue, is it
multipart/alternative?  If you think there is a real bug,
consider reporting it at https://bugs.launchpad.net/vm