Konrad Hinsen writes:

>  > 3. `vm-list-imap-folders' vastly improved.  There are also other functions
>  > for working with IMAP servers listed in the manual.
>
> The new vm-list-imap-folders is fine for modest-sized accounts. On my
> main account with > 100 mailboxes, it takes forever. I guess there
> isn't much to do about this, since IMAP implemented in Emacs Lisp is
> bound to be slow.

This is actually an IMAP problem, not of Emacs Lisp.  (Actually, Emacs Lisp
speed is quite ok on modern machines.)

IMAP provides a "LIST" command which is required to be fast but doesn't give
the status of the folders, and a separate "STATUS" command which is allowed
to be slow and has to be queried individually for each folder.  I would
expect that many IMAP implementations take it to be a license for being as
slow as possible.  I will put it on the stack to consider other possible
ways of doing it.

Cheers,
Uday