John Stoffel writes:

> which tells me that MS doesn't want to support extra flags.

That is not the point.  To repeat what I wrote to you several months ago:

    The IMAP standard (RFC 3501) says:

    59) It is not an error for the client to store a flag that is not in
    the PERMANENTFLAGS list; however, the server will either ignore the
    change or make the change in the session only.

    So, unfortunately, your Exchange server is not adhering to the standard.
    Please do complain to whoever is running your Exchange server.

You haven't said whether a complaint has been made to Microsoft.

Not only is Exchange giving an error message where it shouldn't, but it is
also forcibly disconnecting you after a few attempts.  That is quite a
misbehaviour if you ask me!

You guys are paying good money to Microsoft.  Why don't you get on their
backs?  Make them earn their living.

Cheers,
Uday