Janus Dam Nielsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have made some tests of ElGamal encryption in Python (with some
> nontrivial amount of help from Martin thanks)
>
> First test was in bare Python, here an encryption took
>
>           time for 1 enc   time for 4*10^6 enc
> Python  :  0,002980 sec  :  approx. 3 hours and 20 min
> GMPY    :  0,000535 sec  :  35 min and 40 sec

Cool, that is a speedup of 5.5! Not bad when you only had to add a
couple of mpz(...) here and there.

> Another possiblity I have not tested yet is to use the Dan Bernstein
> implementation of encryption based on elliptic curves. I guess that we
> can get some more speed from there.

Calling a ElGamal function in NaCl would be very cool and probably a bit
faster since you wont have to do all the tuple packing and unpacking
that you do in the Python version.

--
Martin Geisler

VIFF (Virtual Ideal Functionality Framework) brings easy and efficient
SMPC (Secure Multi-Party Computation) to Python. See: http://viff.dk/.