Piccinini says (Cap. XXXI):

> Le Tirate segno dello Strascino, si faranno come ho gia deto di sopra
> nel Cap. XXV. e li gruppi similmente strascinati riescano assai bene, ma
> sono perņ inscipidi, e perciņ a farli con un deto si come pur si č detto
> al Cap. IX. riescano ancor in Eccelenza nel Chitarrone spiccati equali,
> veloci, č netti ma fino hora non sono usati da nissuno, se non forse,
> per mio conseglio.

He was a nailguy. In his finest hours practising gruppi spiccati...

He wrote in Cap. IX that he plays the gruppo with the index only, hitting
the string up and down with the tip of the nail. This works very well
because of its 'politezza' (smooth surface?) and velocity. He explains that
he can even do the trick while playing a second voice with the thumb at the
same time, as in the end of his first ricercare (p.32). Reminds me of what
Yamashita did in the 'pictures' by Moussorgsky.

L.