Subject: Re: [VIHUELA] Re: rasgueo

> thank you again monica - i'll decline your kind offer
> of the amat treatise.  i'm interested in historical
> documentation for right hand technique and his left
> hand instruction is probably for a different tuning.
> could the sparsity of documentation on this subject
> indicate that "rasgueado" was considered déclassé ...
> suitable for the hoi polloi ... tavern players,
> gypsies etc. and not for "serious" study?

I think the problem is that it is not something that can easily be described
verbally.  Those that try aren't successful.

Amat boasts about accompanying music by Palestrina on his guitar, but he was
probably an exception.  I think in Spain there may well have been a bit of a
distinction between strumming and playing punteado.   The guitar was used a
lot in the theatre and also in extra-liturgical religious processions etc.
where it was probably strummed.

> sampling some of the "rasgueo" associated with the
> charango leads me to believe that they're south
> american in origin.  even on the guitar they sound
> andean.  haven't a clue what rhythms might have been
> popular during the baroque period in europe (outside
> the conservatory, of course ... )  you game to try
> something from the baroque repertoire with a south
> american flavor?

Well - I was thinking of taking up the cittern.  Lots of lovely 6-4 chords.