From: Philippe Mottet [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 05 November 2005 12:34
To: vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu
Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: What is the historical vihuela?

Objet : Re: [VIHUELA] Re: What is the historical vihuela?

> For those interested, there is a picture of this guitar on this page:
>
> http://www.musicintime.co.uk/vihuelaIntro.htm
>
> Rob

There is also now the "Pinturicchio" lion's head viola at the end of your
page: the interresting thing with that instrument - apart from its long
string length! - is that it has been ordered and painted for Pope
Borgia'appartments in Roma. This Pope was Archbishop of Valencia, Spain,
before he moved to Italy, where he came with his complete "maison" (I don't
know the word in english). Valencia is considered to be the place of birth
for the vihuela, probably as a development of arabic instruments of the
rebab type. Several names of cities and villages of the coast of Valencia
still has arabic resonances today, the most famous beeing Benicasim.
Concerning the Valencian origins of the vihuela, see the "incontournable"
Early History of the Viol by Ian Woodfield.
So do I consider the model of Pinturrichio as an interresting vihuela-viola,
as the vogue of the viola in Italy was in part imported from Valencia by the
Borgia.
Philippe