what's interesting about grunfeld's comment on the
figure is the mention of strolling players -
itinerant, folk musicians - and small vihuelas.
obviously, they existed in sufficient numbers in the
early 16th cent. to be recorded in stone.

as mudarra's guitar had a figure "8" shape with neck,
tuning platform and keys, bridge, nut, strings and was
made of wood, i imagine the only thing he would find
wildly perplexing about a charango is its name.

- bill