----- Original Message -----
From: "Rob MacKillop" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'Roger E. Blumberg'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "'vihuela list'"
<vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, December 27, 2005 11:43 PM
Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: icon alert -- Andrea Mantegna 1467-74

> Very interesting illustrations, Roger. It is an unusual shape, one which
> I'll leave others more experienced in these matters to comment on. It is
> also interesting that another vihuela (?) image uses the Arion myth.
>
> Rob

ya, maybe there's still more Arions around yet to be found (I think Apollo
and Orpheus are more likely to be exhausted by now, but who knows). I
hesitated too, re what to call this. It's Italy, so I guess viola, or
perhaps chitarra or latin guitarra? I guess there's an off chance it's
completely fictional, but few seem to have been. His teacher or benefactor,
I read, had one of the best collections of Roman and perhaps Greek antiques
and art, sculpture, etc. So I guess he could have seen some ancient model(s)
and concocted a mythical cithara-like pastiche or something. But again they
most often seemed to have used recognizable and fairly authentic if not
literal and recent representative models. We only have to find one more
example on this order to make it a registerable sub-specie shape (is the way
I look at it), i.e. to bring it to the point were we'd never be surprised
again, seeing something similar. I have seen some bowed instruments on this
order though, contour-wise that is, similar date, vihuela de arco perhaps. I
have no ID on this picture, for example, but it seems to be in the
ball-park, shield-shape we might say.
http://www.thecipher.com/braccio_15th_bw-engraving_no-ID_deta.jpg

Roger