Eugene C. Braig IV wrote:

> you still can't truly fret any instrument to any
> temperament scheme other than roughly equal temperament without
> tastini or
> some other device for sectioning frets.

This may be correct as a matter of mathematics, but it doesn't work
like this in the real world.  Most of us on this list set our frets
unequally, and we do it with tied-on frets without tastini.  I think
your statement exalts theory over practice; or perhaps you're using
"temperament scheme" in a sense so restrictive as to be of no practical
use.

> A fretted instrument can never quite be in tune with a keyboard without
> using a fair number of tastini or some other device for segmenting
> frets,
> especially in remote keys.  The exception, of course, is equal tempered
> keyboards playing along with frets set to approximate equal
> temperament.  Since equal temperament obviously was not universal until
> more recently, I suspect the period ear might have been a little more
> tolerant of a little tonal ambiguity between tone colors.

These days unequally tempered lutes, theorbos and guitars play with
unequally tempered harpsichords and organs all the time.