Martyn Hodgson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:  Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 09:00:21
+0100 (BST)
From: Martyn Hodgson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [VIHUELA] Re: Why re-entrant tuning?
To: Alexander Batov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

  Dear Alexander,

  I am genuinely open minded about all this and remain to be convinced either
way:  clearly, some guitars seem to have been converted to be wire strung with
shorter necks and folded bellies - possibly in the mid 18th C (but why done not
earlier?), however there seem to be examples (eg the Hill one) where this is
not the case and we have an earlier instrument set up with folded belly, end
string fastening and short neck.   I think much more work needs to be done here.

  Also, I'm not so sure about the the presumption that the folded mandolin
belly had to be invented before such a constructional technique could be
applied to the guitar.

  Battente guitars could make use of Alfabeto which, presumably, pre-dates the
6 course tablature Ricetti mentions.

  Finally,  I'm even more unclear about non-folded belly instruments which have
string end fastening - like Coste's Lacote guitar much later,  this could be
simply an alternative gut stringing arrangement.

  MH

  der Batov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Martyn,

With no attempt to convince you but there is hardly any point to look for
chitarra battente much further beyond mid-18th century (i.e. chronologically
coinciding with the arrival of Neapolitan mandoline). Perhaps this can also
suggest what sort of strings it could be strung with ...

The most comprehensive research on surviving battente guitars was made, as
far as I know, by Valentina Ricetti around mid-80s and published in the
Liuteria magazine (in two subsequent issues). I corresponded with her at the
time and supplied information on the three original battente guitars from
the St-Petersburg collection (she reproduced the picture of one of them in
her article). She also send me what in her words was _supposedly_ the
earliest surviving tablature for battente guitar which, if I remember it
right, looked like a chart of chords written out on six lines.
Unfortunately I don't have neither the magazines not the tablature fragment
with me at the moment, otherwise I could have given you more precise
information.

Alexander