I am afraid Google has got most of it wrong.

The term guitarra/quinterne etc, in medieval sources does not necessarily
refer to the figure of eight shaped instrument at all but to a type of small
lute.

I can't go into all the details but Tinctoris describes the guitar as
follows

-a small tortoise shaped instrument invented by the Catalans which some call
ghiterra, others ghiterna

The ghiterra is used most rarely, because of the thinness of its sound.
When I heard it in Catalonia, it was being used much more often by women, to
accompany their love songs, than by men.

In other words the instrument is a small lute or mandora.

The vihuela is described as

-an instrument invented by the Spanish, which both they and the Italians
call the viola, but the French the demi-luth.

-this viola differs from the lute in that the lute is much larger and
tortoise-shaped, while the viola is flat, and in most cases curved inwards
on each side.

The relevant article to read is still

Lawrence Wright - The medieval gittern and citole : a case of mistaken
identity

in Galpin Society Journal, Vol. 30, 1977, p.8-42.

Mudarra is indeed the first person known to have published music for the
4-course guitar.

Only five of the books printed between 1550-1555 are by Leroy & Ballard.
The rest are by Morlaye/Gorlier.   They do not include any 5-course music.

There is a lot missing from the rest of it but I haven't time to write a
book on the subject at present..

Don't believe everything you find on the Internet.

Monica