Personally, I tend to prefer to not alter the configuration of my
instruments.  I like them to function as there builders made them.  I
prefer to buy the instruments that already function as I'd like.  That
said, I take absolutely no issue at all with anybody else who would like to
tinker ad nauseam with there own stuff.  However, I'm not entirely clear on
what you're trying to do.  Are you setting this up as a 5-course instrument
with two doubled courses, or a 6-course with one?  If the former, I'd
double the two bass-most courses (or leave it as is and retune one of your
charangos); most 5-course music has the upper three courses in unison;
bourdons come into play on the lower two.

If the latter, I'm not sure how I'd want to approach it.  I suppose I'd ask
yourself why?  What do you want of an xtra octave?  What music are you
trying to emulate?

Eugene