Eugene C. Braig IV wrote:
At 04:47 PM 12/14/2007, Stuart Walsh wrote:

I' not sure what a 'mandola' is. Tyler refers to this genre as mandolino/ mandore/mandola. Does 'mandola', as you understand it, mean something other?

Mandora/mandore was similar but usually referred to something a bit different with a different standard tuning, often alternating fourths and fifths.

Orlandi contends that in the late baroque, at least in some sources (perhaps Dalla Casa, e.g.) "mandola" came to describe 6-course mandolins (g-b-e'-a'-d''-g'') where "mandolino" was used for 5- (b-e'-a'-d''-g'') or even four course things in all fourths. I believe Tyler had asserted the terms "mandola"/"mandolino" as interchangeable early in their use, but "mandola" came to describe something analogous to the late-baroque Germanic mandore later on. Some on these lists contend there isn't much evidence for Tyler's application of "mandola" to larger Italian lute-like thingies.

Yes, I got the idea from Tyler that the terms mandore/mandola/mandolino refer to the same thing - at least up to the end of the 17th century. He says (in EM Jan 1981) that the 'mandore' was associated with Northern Europe (esp France) and the Italian equivalent, in the 16th century, was 'mandola' (and later, mandolino). I wasn't really thinking of the later usage of the term for a larger instrument

The mandore/mandolino (if that's in the same territory as the mandola) is a tiny thing, usually tuned in fourths and usually (it would seem - given the nature of the music) played with a plectrum.

Not necessarily. The Sammartini ("San Martino") sonata, e.g., certainly favors fingerstyle with many pedal points and occasional double stops that skip courses, rolling arpeggio patterns that fit the fingers very naturally, etc. I even feel the Vivaldi concerti are more natural with the fingers. ...And Hasse, Arrigoni, etc. Some players argue fingerstyle dominated 4th-tuned, fixed-bridge mandolins in the baroque and plectrum technique didn't become commonplace until the classical aesthetic gained firmer sway. See "The Little Concert" (1746) by Pietro Longhi, e.g.:
<http://www.wga.hu/art/l/longhi/pietro/1/06thelit.jpg>

No plectra on hand here. Still, it's relatively rare to record the instrument with the fingers, I believe, because most players come to fixed-bridge mandolins from modern mandolin rather than from lute or guitar.

Yes, I should have noted there are other tunings than just fourths - but never(?) the guitar tuning as in Calvi (?). And I should have mentioned the clearly fingerstyle pieces of Sauli.

The Arrigoni 'Concerto' with violin and bass (and others form the same source) certainly isn't obviously fingerstyle (in the way that the Skene, Sauli, de Gallot pieces are) - but it could be. I can't remember if there is a chord somewhere in it with the notes not on consecutive strings but it's almost all just single line.