I don't think that anyone has made a transcription of the whole of
Foscarini - it would indeed be a labour of love! I looked at Gavin's transcription - but he hasn't given the page number so that I can compare it with the original. Also I am not in favour of inverting the tablature in this way. Myself I would never play from anything other than the original - which is presumably what players did in the 17th century.

I would not like to talk you through the piece that you have reproduced
on your web site.   But I play the Capriccio on p.93 which is very
similar.   It takes a lot of time and thought to arrive at a satisfactory
solution but it is possible.

I have been studying Foscarini's  notation in detail recently and was
thinking of writing an article on the subject - perhaps for the Lute Society
if they can be pursuaded to continue taking an interest in the baroque
guitar.

The most intractable problem is the complete absence of bar lines, and the
erratic  notation of rhythm.   One thing in particular is his use of dots -
these sometimes indicate the ends of phrases rather than augmentation of the
notes to which they are attached. The arrangements of lute pieces are often problematic in the same way. It does beg a few questions about Foscaini's level of musical literacy!

On the other hand we should take into account all the problems which guitarists faced over getting their work printed - and the fact that the notation was evolving to accommodate changes in the styles of music written or arranged for the guitar.

I am sceptical about the idea that there is a "definitive" version of any baroque guitar music. To a considerable extent it is left to the player to decide on a lot of things - including the tuning - which may not be much help to us today.

As far as the tuning is concerned, Foscarini does include advice on how to tune which implies that there is octave stringing on both 4th and 5th courses. However these instructions appear in his earlier 1629 book - which is substantially a plagiarized edtion of at least one of Colonna's earlier books and Foscarini has almost certainly copied the tuning instructions from another earlier book and simply reproduced them in all subsequent editions. It is debatable how much of what he says in the preface applies to all music in the later volumes.

Personally I play his music with the "French" tuning - as I do everything else - and I make no apologies for that.

Monica

----- Original Message ----- From: "Stuart Walsh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>