  From: Martyn Hodgson
  To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ; 'Monica Hall' ; 'Vihuelalist'
  Sent: Friday, January 18, 2008 8:40 AM
  Subject: Re: [VIHUELA] Re: tablature, alfabeto and BC

  Two dances in fact.

  I know of no specific named players but considering the popularity of the
instrument in London at the time there'd probably quite a choice.  Peter Holman
thinks the guitar was used throughout the opera in almost all the pieces
including the Lament where he asked me to strum (gently of course) the opening
harmonies throughout whilst the strings played the more dissonant version: it
certainly works and, I think, heightens the effect.  Not sure if Purcell wld
have expected it tho. Having said this Peter is certainly one of the leading
scholars and researchers of English music of the late 17th/early 18thC.

  Martyn

  PS I mostly strummed..............

    Who played the guitar dance in Purcell's Dido and Aeneas?

    Rob

    www.rmguitar.info