Following the ukulele theme backwards, it seems to have developed from the
Portuguese Machete, which I believe was wire-string. What do we know of the
machete? Strummed? Plucked? Fingers? Plectrum? I've known about the machete
for years as they have one in Edinburgh University Museum of musical
instruments - and a cute little thing it is, although broken and stringless
- but have never read any research or heard one.

BTW, astonished at some of the strumming these uke players can do. There is
one guy on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLAwSOELH9s&feature=related demonstrating a
'fan strum' which is a form of repicco - but goes like this: little finger
down, ring finger down, thumb down, thumb up, which he can do at a
phenomenal speed. I might get a DVD devoted to strumming the uke, as there
is so much there of use to baroque guitar players. The repertoire might be
different - Sweet Georgia Brown instead of La Folia - but the billions of
alfabeto pieces are not so far off.

Rob