To: "Vihuelalist" <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2008 9:04 PM
Subject: [VIHUELA] alternative tunings for Baroque guitar

I have been looking at some Foscarini pieces in an alternative tuning and, just for the hell of it, I'm trying to do a little website about them. My
idea is to do the website as a sort of blog - a bit at at a time.
But blog software (I'm using WordPress) only lets you put postings in
reverse chronology - the latest post is first  - whereas I'm wanting to
build up the thing the normal way around.

I've given it the title, "Foscarini's 'la cordatura diferente', Russian
guitars and erotic dance" (!) Anyway it amuses me... No part of it is
quite ready  yet but there are a few provisional posts already: here:

http://www.tuningsinthirds.com/Foscarini/

(anyone who's interested in these things will no doubt see where it's
going)

Anyway what I'm after is information about alternative guitar tunings (for
Baroque guitar). I've never tried any other than Foscarini's but I know
there are lots. It would be especially interesting if there were other
guitar pieces that use Foscarini's alternative tuning - lowest course
raised a tone and top course lowered a tone B-d-g-b-d' .

The online pdf  thesis of Julian Navarro Gonzalez discusses alternative
tunings on pp344-345 but I can't follow it and I can't even see
Foscarini's alternative tuning.

Any advice or sources of information on alternative tunings and any
comments, fatal flaws etc would be welcomed ( I think).

Stuart