When I've been asked by students a question not unlike that posed by Josh, my
instinct is to draw lineages based on distinct tuning/stringing characteristics
of historical instruments.  The earliest instrument that is known to me that
shares a similar tuning/stringing scheme to that of the modern guitar is the
single-strung mandora of 18th century Germany.  Being that there was a strong
early guitar making tradition in Germany that grew to include the likes of
Stauffer, could there be a lineage to the modern guitar that can be traced from
this instrument?  Can the history of the modern guitar be traced to the
theorbo/chitarrone by way of the mandora?  Is it possible that the theorbo
connection explains how the modern guitar idea came to the builders of Spain?

Sorry to answer a question with more questions.

Fred