     From: Monica Hall <mjlh...@tiscali.co.uk>
     Subject: [VIHUELA] Chitarra atiorbata/Guitarre theorbee
     To: "Lex Eisenhardt" <eisenha...@planet.nl>
     Cc: "Vihuelalist" <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
     Date: Sunday, 19 July, 2009, 4:17 PM

   I don't wish to get into a bitter argument over this.   However there
   are
   just a few comments.
   Lex said
      Perhaps the wish to have a complete instrument was as much something
   of
   the 17th century. An imperfect instrument improved.
   The obvious thing to do would have been to add a 6th course to the
   guitar.
   Even in today's world the 6 stringed instrument is capable of doing
   most
   things asked of it even by some of the most adventurous composers.
   We may well ask why it took 150 years before the 6th course which was
   standard for the lute and vihuela in the 16th century was restored to
   the
   guitar.   Even Sanz and Murcia don't consider this as an option.
   Aside from that there are a few things I would like to say about both
   the
   chitarra atiorbata and the guitarre theorbe.
   1.    We don't know very much about either of them.   It is advisable
   not to
   jump to too many conclusions and to have an open mind when considering
   the
   evidence.
   2.     For Lex's benefit I would just say that this discussion has been
   going on - and off - for a while.   Also I had been pestering Gary Boye
   produce this illustration of Granata - being a doubting Thomas - I
   wanted to
   be sure it had a guitar-shaped body rather than a lute shaped
   body.   He has
   very kindly done so and spent some time discussing it and related
   issues
   helpfully with me.
   3.    This prompted me to take a closer look at the music.   The music
   in
   the Gallot is of the utmost simplicity.   Most of the pieces are a few
   bars
   long and the part writing less than basic.   Granata's music seems more
   sophisticated.
   4.    Two people have considered the music in the Gallot ms. - Donald
   Gill
   and Richard Pinnell - and arrived at different conclusions as to how it
   was
   strung.  Of the two I have a higher regard for Donald Gill whom I know
   has
   studied this manuscript in more depth than anyone else and is an expert
   of a
   whole range of early plucked stringed instruments.
   5.    And finally - my own tentative conclusion at this stage is that
   we are
   talking about two different instruments.  But I am planning to
   transcribe
   more of the music - not having a suitable instrument to play it on is a
   handicap.   And the idea of putting some of the information on my ning
   page
   was so that other people could comment on it - not to pre-empt any
   discussion.
   Monica