Thank you Monica.

   As you'll know from our earlier exchanges, I agree with the conclusions
   about the guitarre theorbee. However there are a couple of significant
   points about the chitarra atiorbata which you seem to have overlooked
   or ignored and which point to a rather different conclusion than you
   (that these instruments had the basses at the low octave):

   1. A duplicated bass G is not an objection to the high tuning of the
   basses - Granata might have simply wished to have a continuous run of
   free basses. For example to allow a fast run on them without having to
   play the G away from the these basses and so interrupt the thumb's
   stroke. Indeed, a good example of this is in the opening Preludio Bar 1
   ie 12 11 X 9 8 7 6 0.....

   2. The engraved depictions do not show the bass extensions 'slightly
   less' than a theorbos - they are considerably and significantly less! -
   this has a real bearing on the sound the basses make. Further, to
   suggest that this particular feature has been incorrectly represented
   by the engraver and can therefore be ignored is, I think, working
   backwards from a presumed conclusion (ie that the basses were at the
   low octave and thus needed to be longer than illustrated) rather than
   taking the important evidence at its face value.

   Martyn