I have now added a big chunk of new stuff on my web page -

   [1]www.monicahall.co.uk

   It all forms part of my project with the title "The baroque guitar made
   simple" and it consists of translations of the instructions to the
   player from the  guitar books of Montesardo, Colonna, Sanseverino and
   Millioni with comments and musical examples and a separate  section on
   alfabeto songs.

   There is a general introduction and then the pages about Foscarini and
   Bartolotti follow on.

   Any comments and corrections will be gratefully received.

   I hope someone will find it as interesting as I do.  The books do throw
   up quite a lot of interesting background details.  For example Colonna
   and Sanseverino both dedicated books to the Milanese nobleman Conde
   Iulio Borromeo  who was related to Saint Charles Borromeo and Colonna
   says he was living in Iulio Cesare's household when he composed his
   pieces.

   There is more to these books than meets the eye.

   cheers