To: "'Vihuelalist'" <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Saturday, July 31, 2010 4:49 PM
Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: Four c. guitar

This is very good and lively discussion! I have just a few things to add.

First, we do have a strong indication that the 4-course guitar *was*
strummed, at least in Spain by 1611. Sebastian de Covarrubias Horozco's
"Tesoro de la lengua castellana o española" has an article on the guitar,
which he defines as have 5 or 4 courses. His article on the "Vigüela"
laments its decline in favor of the guitar with the famous quote: ". . .
ahora la guitarra no es más que un cencerro, tan fácil de tañer,
especialmente en lo rasgado, que no hay mozo de caballos que no sea músico
de guitarra." (. . . now the guitar is no more than a cowbell, so easy to
play, especially when strummed, that there is hardly a stable boy who is
not
a guitar player.)

I cannot find any strumming indications in Phalèse 1570. However, repeated
4-note chords in some chanson intabulations strongly suggest that
technique.

The "Braye Ms.", now called the "Osborn Ms." or "Osborn Collection
Commonplace-book" (c. 1560) is discussed and transcribed in John M. Ward,
"Sprightly & Cheerful Musick: Notes on the cittern, gittern, and guitar in
16th- and 17th-century England", Lute Society Journal XXI, 1979-81. The
"article" takes up the entire book, and I believe it is still available
from
The Lute Society. A fascinating read! In the Osborn Ms. there are several
pieces comprised mostly or entirely of repeated chords. (See, for example,
"20. The [?Fantaze], Ward, p. 128.) Ward believes that these passages were
to be strummed, and it seems to me entirely impossible to interpret them
othewise.

Finally a personal suggestion: If the 4-course guitar is tuned to E, many
pieces are in G with an inherent problem with the final chord: The open
low
D string on the 4th course produces a 6-4 chord when plucked, with the 5th
sounding prominently below the key note G (which "should" be in the bass).
Possibly, people didn't care, or there was a popular undocumented
solution.
I believe that a good solution for these and other chords with the same
basic problem is simply to strum the chord (perhaps with the thumb).
Effectively, the voicing of the chord is thereby obscured (and with it the
transgression of the harmony/counterpoint rule).

Michael
michael.f...@notesinc.com
________________________

There is a facsimile of the Phalese book published by Tree Editions -
modestly priced at 36 euros.

There is no indication in the tablature that the chords should be
strummed.
It does however
seem to me to be self-evident that at least some passages must be
strummed.
I don't
see how else you could conveniently play them.  The same is true of the
Braye ms.    I haven't seen the
Giesbert - but it seems to me perfectly reasonable to indicate that the
chords should be strummed if the edition is for classical guitarists.

The other thing is that many of the chords are actually the same as
standard
alfabeto chords without the fifth course.   The fifth course was added
later.   There is clearly a continuous tradition.

Some of the pieces in one of the Newsidler books do have an
instruction "mit streichen" in pieces which have 6-part chords.  I don't
think it is unreasonable to assume that even the noble lute was sometimes
strummed.

But because the 4-course guitar was perhaps  more of a popular instrument,
more likely to be played by amateurs, strumming may have been considered
more appropriate.   There is the famous quotation which I can't actually
quote verbatim but says to effect "All the world's a gitterning and the
lute

is quite laid off etc..".

I don't think that treating the text as if it were holy writ is helpful.
Just because there are no specific indications in the sources as to how
the
chords should be played doesn't mean that they must be played  in what I
would call "lute style".   This is an assumption.   Quite possible full
chords were strummed on the lute too.   There is no indication either way.

Monica

----- Original Message ----- From: "Stuart Walsh" <s.wa...@ntlworld.com>