The barre certainly was an integral part of guitar technique in Spain where it all began. Amat's table of chords includes the whole 24, many of which are played with a barre.

Also his table in Chapter 8 does enable you to work out the correct chords to strum for the most usual situations although it doesn't accommodate more complex chromatic harmony.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Martyn Hodgson" <hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk> To: "Lex Eisenhardt" <eisenha...@planet.nl>; "Vihuelalist" <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>; "Chris Despopoulos" <despopoulos_chr...@yahoo.com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 01, 2010 1:30 PM
Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: stringing and performance

  But surely the 'barre' was an integral part of 5 course guitar from the
  first: how else are many of the movable alfabeto shapes to be played?

  Indeed, the technique was clearly highly developed: look at
  Valdambrini's books of 1646 and 1647 for example.

  MH

  --- On Wed, 1/9/10, Chris Despopoulos <despopoulos_chr...@yahoo.com>