     From: Lex Eisenhardt <eisenha...@planet.nl>
     Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: stringing and performance
     To: "Vihuelalist" <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
     Date: Wednesday, 1 September, 2010, 20:49

   >> But Amat is rather pedantic about his
   >> invention, and eager to prove his right.
   > I don't know what you mean by that.
   I was thinking of his report of his meeting with the singers in the
   pub. Seems to have been a self-satisfied exraordinary narrow pedantic
   guitarist.
   > What he says is quite simple and
   > straightforward and works perfectly well in practice.  Using a barre
   is not that difficult!
   I can assure you that many pupils hate them intensely. It is probably
   not for nothing that the first seven chords of alfabeto, which are used
   the most, have no barre.
   >> Indeed. But if we consider the keys the dances are in, they are
   almost all
   >> in G major, G minor, D major, D minor and C major. That seems to
   reflect
   >> daily practice.
   >
   > So..........if you are just dancing it doesn't matter what key you
   are in.
   I thought we were discussing the practice of amateur guitarists. Easy
   keys without many barre's make the five-course guitar much more
   practical in self-accompaniment than a six-course instrument
   [the rest of this message can only be followed with 'The Lute' 47
   before you, sorry]

   > As far as Pedrual is concerned I think that you are mistaken in
   assuming that in your second example all four chords are to be strummed
   in full. It is a very early example of a passage which is intended to
   be in mixed style. The fact that there are stroke marks does not mean
   that the second and third chords are to be strummed including all open
   courses.
   I know that the transcription is based on a number of assumptions. As
   would be any transcription.
   But why on earth would it have to be mixed style? Most chords in ex 3
   have unfingered courses. Should we suppose that they should all be
   plucked?
   > There is in fact a dot after the stroke symbol above the first chord
   which you have ignored. It should probably be a dotted crotchet
   followed by a quaver.
   All played with downstrokes. Interesting...
   In the end, for the harmony it does not make a difference.
   > In a situation like this where there are no bar lines and no note
   values the stroke marks have a dual function.   They indicate the
   duration of the notes and make the music easier to read.   A suitable
   notation was not invented overnight.   It evolved - and that is true of
   notation as a whole not just baroque guitar notation.   You are simply
   working on the assumption that what the signs mean in later sources
   should be interpreted in the same way 20-30 years earlier.
   So, in some occasions the stroke signs are not there to indicate
   strokes at all ??
   Lex