   From: [1]Chris Despopoulos

   To: [2]Monica Hall ; [3]Martyn Hodgson

   Cc: [4]Vihuelalist

   Sent: Thursday, September 02, 2010 9:03 PM

   Subject: Re: [VIHUELA] Re: stringing and performance

   Ok...  I have played through the Corrente dette la Favorita, and by and
   large I agree with Monica.  Where I don't agree is when she says:
   >  One example in Foscarini which I think is significant is the
   Corrente
   >  detta
   >  la Favorita on p.60 especially the opening bars.  He has marked the
   >  passing
   >  notes following the first chord M3 and those following chord G on
   the
   >  first
   >  line as if they were to be strummed with up and down strokes.  These
   >  can't
   >  actually be included in the chord (at least those following chord G
   >  can't!).
   I agree with the above, but not the following...
   >  Also the sensible way to play those following chord M3  is all with
   >  upstrokes of the finger and those following chord G as down-strokes
   >  with the
   >  thumb.
   >  The stroke marks are not there to indicate how you should physically
   >  play
   >  the notes.  They have a musical significance but no practical use.
   I find it most sensible to alternate between the thumb and index for
   these single notes, using the thumb for the typical down-beat of the
   note, and the index finger for the up-beat.  In other words, I'm
   thinking of my hand going up and down in 8th notes, and grab the
   indicated notes where they fall in this strumming motion.  So I would
   say, M3-i-p-i | M3-M3-M3 | G-i-p-i | G-G-B-B | ...
   As I understand it is with the lute, and I know it is when playing
   Chancy's tablatures on the mandore, the up-stroke on a single note is
   very important because it's to be weaker when compared to a
   down-stroke.  And these are to be alternated in relation to the
   rhythmic structure of the piece.  So why would it be different on the
   guitar, unless the situation makes it strictly impossible -- something
   I would be surprised to find in as charming a piece as this one.
   An added thing I found in trying the piece out...  It pays to hold the
   chord as long as possible, even when playing the single note passages.
   But sometimes it pays to let go and prepare for an upcoming passage.
   AND, I found a place where an upstroke of the thumb makes perfect
   sense!  If I say P is a down-stroke of the thumb, and p is an up-stroke
   of the thumb, I play the following in measure 9...  D-p-ma-p | H-G-O.
   I play the D as a rasgueado, strumming on the backs of my nails, and
   the ma is pretty much the same thing with only two fingers.  Also, I
   let go of the D chord as I play the ma, and with the following thumb
   upstroke my left hand is already playing the barre for the upcoming H.
   All of that happened rather quickly, and the right hand just sort of
   fell into place that way.
   Whew...  Sorry if this is over the top.
   For me the bottom line is maintaining the strumming sensation, in my
   mind, and in my hands as much as possible.  Which gets to Monica's last
   statement...  The stroke marks are not there to indicate how you should
   physically play.  True, but they do have a practical use if they keep
   you oriented in the pulse of the music.
   Thanks for pointing to a lovely piece.  If I can get the transition
   from the N7 to the M+5 in measure 26, I'll add it to my regular bag of
   tricks.
   cud