If you are saying that as a general principal you might not always include
all 5 courses in a chord when repeating it on the upstroke then I have no
problem with that. However when Foscarini puts a stroke mark under a single figure following a chord or in between two chords I
think he has made it clear in Rule 4 that usually a single note should be
played.   To repeat what he says again...

"These must be played singly; that is to say you must pluck neither less nor more strings than those which are shown. In this way the true effect of the ornamental notes will be felt and the parts will follow clearly one after the other which is what I intend."

His reasons for saying this are perfectly clear. It creates a coherent melodic line.

The fact that he puts in the note values a well (although he doesn't always do so) is another matter. These are necessary to indicate the rhythm.

What he is doing is combining two different practices. The earlier practice of indicating the single notes between the chords with upstrokes whilst following the later practice of omitting stroke signs from more extended passages in lute style.

Indicating single notes or longer passages only by means of note values must have been a recent innovation - possibly even his idea.

As far as the Corrente on p.60 is concerned he has specifically mentioned this piece as being one where the passing notes should be treated as single notes.

The reason why in the first few lines there are up and down strokes is probably because he is imposing on the piece the stroke pattern which would be appropriate if the piece consisted solely of 5-part chords which are to be strummed.

We are at least in complete agreement over the barre question. I am afraid Lex does not know what he is talking about. Brizeno includes the equivalent of Chords G and H as well as other barre chords. James Tyler has included a transcription from the Bologna manuscript - one of the earliest (1680s) with alfabeto and this calls for the use of chord G. There is a hidden agenda to all this. He wants to prove the guitar always had octave stringing on both the 4th and 5th courses. The idea that the 6th course wasn't added until quite late because the guitar had a re-entrant tuning doesn't fit in with his theories.

Regards

Monica

----- Original Message ----- From: "Martyn Hodgson" <hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>