Thanks Stuart for posting the manuscript.  Thanks for your playing as
   well...
   Looking at the manuscript, I'm trying to find the notorious "doubled"
   expression for a note...  Namely, what is redundant, and hence opens
   the question, why would the composer use redundant expressions for a
   note?
   The flags above the staff indicating duration are in no way
   redundant...  They would be there for rasgueado or punteado, because
   they indicate how many strokes are in a measure (when the music
   expresses measures), and how much time should be between strokes.  What
   IS redundant is the expression of a NUMBER value along with a strum
   mark.  The existence of a number in the tab indicates a stroke, so
   adding the strum mark is a second indication of the same stroke.  Up to
   now I had misunderstood what Martyn was commenting on.  So Martyn, are
   you saying that there should be no stroke mark if there is a number on
   a string?  Because that is the only redundancy I can see.
   As to *why* there would be a strum mark if there is also a number, I
   can still maintain that it's to indicate up- vs down-strokes for the
   individual notes.  That is important -- especially so if you use
   bordones.   But even without bordones, up or down lends a variation to
   the pulse, and there's nothing trivial about that.  Further, looking at
   the manuscript, I see that Foscarini calls for changes in the up/down
   pulse that I didn't initially hit upon from Monica's transcription.  I
   wonder if Monica would consider adding in the strum maks for those
   notes, or some other indication of up- vs down-stroke.  But my point
   remains -- even if you take a number as a single note only, the
   expression of the single note and the strum direction are not redundant
   in my view.
   Now if anything for the BORDONE argument, you could take the stroke
   marks after the G as an argument in favor of bordones...  Why insist on
   a down-stroke to start that figure, when it echos an earlier figure
   that began with an up-stroke?.  But to be honest, I have no appetite
   for that argument!  When the day comes that I put bordones on my
   instrument, I will still probably play this piece.
   A question I would ask Monica is whether she would admit experiments
   with diminution to lead into these passing single notes?  Would that
   have been a practice at the time?
   Notation is and always has been an imperfect means to transmit what is
   inherently an experience in time (4 dimensions), reduced to
   2-dimensional markings on paper.  By my reading, the strum marks, the
   duration marks, and the numbers, in conjunction, inform the gestures I
   make with my instrument.  I see no controversey in that.
   cud