Dear group members,

   You are all correct with your observations about Pisador and the fourth
   course: it is the only specific reference to tuning both strings of the
   course to the same pitch. By the same token, the only reference to the
   tuning of both strings of one course is the reference to Fuenllana
   tuning the strings a third apart. I haven't got Bill Hearn's article in
   front of me, but I think we need to consider as much what isn't said by
   the authors. Milan, for example, always refers to each course in the
   singular as a "cuerda". He is clearly telling us that he regarded as
   the sound of each course to be one sound. I don't think he is telling
   us that we should have our vihuelas strung with single-string courses,
   but if he used octaves instead of unisons, then their role was
   certainly to enhance the qualities of the fundamental, and not to make
   it sound like an octave. So if you want to use octaves on your
   vihuelas, and want your instrument to sound in a way that Luis Milan
   might have approved of, I would recommend you try to match the strings
   so that the octave is imperceptible.

   It is also narrow to draw conclusions about instrumental practice on
   the basis of the local standards of string making. We actually know
   very little about string making in Spain. I have read some documents
   from the 14th century that ally string makers with tanners, but other
   references to string making as a homespun cottage industry in the 16th
   century: one violero in Valladolid had strings made for him by a
   married couple in Burgos. But I have also found documents in Spain
   showing that they imported vihuela strings from Italy, France and the
   Low Countries. From this I can only conclude that there was sufficient
   interest in Spain in getting good strings for Spanish players and
   makers to go to great lengths to identify good strings abroad and
   organise their importation. Not too different to today, really.

   John