Dear Lex,

   You write '.....how can you find the chords to a song if you have no
   idea of counterpoint and voice-leading at all...' .  Surely this is why
   a such a basically simple chordal instrument is so popular even today -
   once you've mastered a few chords and have a reasonable ear you're
   ready to tackle the mainly straightforward repertoire of songs alfabeto
   was used for. Of course, odd clashes would have occurred occasionally
   which is why more than just a few alfabeto chords are used in some
   songs. But I wonder how much it mattered to the 'non-expert' player
   that a passing dissonance which was soon resolved was not slavishly
   harmonised.
   And again you write '.... I would prefer to take in account that an
   experienced theorbist-guitarist would perhaps have tried to expand the
   system of alfabeto from within....'.    But surely when looking at most
   simple alfabeto accompaniments we are not speaking of these expert
   practitioners but the more general strumming public who may not have
   been up to improvising more than the basic three tonal chords....

   Finally if you've ever performed Cesare Morelli's (Pepys guitar
   teacher) arrangement of  'To be or not to be....' (an experience of
   novelty rather than artistic merit I can tell you)  from the later 17th
   century you'd not rush to suggest strumming to songs was little
   employed by then - little written down maybe.  And Morelli, supposedly
   a 'professional' of sorts often gets the harmonisations 'wrong'........

   rgds

   M.