I think the actual  evidence from the time is minute - something in
Stradivarius and ? at most a couple of other things? (Plus something much
later? Merchi? - when the bass notes are unambiguously bass notes anyway).

Rather surprisingly the one 17th century mention of this practice is in Ruiz
de Ribayaz's Luz y norte musical.

It is also illustrated in the article by Rousseau in Diderot's encyclopedia.

But I think it may have been common on the cittern as well. The instrument in Saldivar Codex 2 has the low octave string on the third course placed between the two treble strings.

On the guitar it is not just a question of campanellas. The 5th course is used quite a lot as a treble string in the part writing and whether or not bourdons are used I think it is necessary to have it on the thumb side of the course.