On 5 February 2011 09:26, Monica Hall <mjlh...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
to him on the guitar (with bordons) he was unable to hear any of the 6/4
chords. If he can't hear them I doubt whether most other people can.

On the other hand, some people are _extremely_ sensitive to
inversions. I have to play a programme of modern music on archlute
(high octaves on 6 and 7 only) these days, and in one session with the
composer of some of the pieces he kept stopping me because he was so
bothered with the weird inversions I was playing.

Presumably this composer is still alive and has different sensibilities from 17th century guitarists. There is actually no suggestion in what Nassarre says that 6/4s would be acceptable on the lute, still less on the harpsichord.

Yes, those octave
strings I don't even hear anymore. Reminds me of the recorder player I
used tp play with. Whenever I accompanied him on Baroque guitar, in
plucking but even in strumming, he kept nagging me about 'impossible'
inversions. It's all in the ear of the beholder.

Yes - like so many things. I can actually hear 6/4s when played on a guitar with a bordon on the 5th course - which is one reason why I dislike this method of stringing..

But another thing which I find amusing - I still have pieces that I composed myself in my childhood and they are full of 6/4 chords. I used to work at the piano so obviously must have liked the way they sounded.

Monica

David