You have a very interesting point here.
By saying that they probably had reverse stringing I referred to what is
generally assumed today. A theory about stringing/tuning should inevitably
be based on inference as well as evidence.

I agree with that in principle but I think we should be careful to differentiate between what we infer and what is supported by documentary evidence. We can all infer what we like.

Are you proposing here that
Visee and Corbetta had the bourdon at the thumb side?

I am suggesting that we don't actually know for certain as they don't say and in practice having the bordon on the thumb side of the course with the "French" tuning might be slightly less problematic than with the 5th course.

However I had forgotten that there is this Italian manuscript with the tuning instructions which could be interpreted as indicating the "French" tuning and in the drawing the bordon appears to be on the side nearer the first course. I was told by the person who originally sent me a copy of this that in the manuscript itself this is more apparent but I would be a bit cautious about taking it at face value. It is a very crude drawing.

Also French tuning has one bourdon. Even if Bartolotti popularised it (any
evidence for that?),

It can be inferred just as readily as any alternative. As a matter of interest have you discovered a source of reference that describes how Scaramouche strung his guitar? If you haven't in what way is the fact that he was in Paris relevant to this topic?

would you suggest that he had the bourdon at the
thumb side?

I would say we don't actually know, but probably not.

It is an interesting question though. As far as I am aware the first person to draw attention to sources which indicate that the treble strings are on the thumb side of the course was Donald Gill in his 1975 article in Early Music. Sylvia Murphy doesn't mention it all all.

I am not sure what players did before that. I have got old LPs from the 60s where the players seem not to have high octaves strings at all. But certainly when I got my guitar in 1978 the treble strings were on the thumb side.

If we are going to have a vote on it I think it should be by secret
ballot. You have no right to claim categorically that you, and only you
know Bartolotti's ideas on the matter.

You read anything I say with great suspicion.

Unfortunately the same is true of the way you read what I say. We are both just of a very suspicious turn of mind. Our exchanges remind me of Mr Darcy and Elizabeth in "Pride and prejudice" but perhaps you are not familiar with that jewel of English literature. They lived happily ever after in the end - well we are not actually told that they did and several other people have written sequels in which they continued to spar with one another so perhaps there is no hope for us.