     From: Monica Hall <mjlh...@tiscali.co.uk>
     Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: Ambiguity
     To: "Martyn Hodgson" <hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>
     Cc: "Vihuelalist" <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
     Date: Sunday, 6 February, 2011, 16:41

   >   Incidentally, earlier in this discussion I asked if there was any
   early
   >   source which mentioned selective plucking of individual strings of
   an
   >   octave pair - no response so far.
   No - the only source which mentions it is Corrette in -can't remember
   the
   exact date - 1760 or there abouts.   I think the fact that Sanz doesn't
   mention this as an option is of some significance.   His solution is to
   change the stringing.
   Incidentally when practicing Bartolotti's Ciaccona  from Book 1 this
   morning
   I noted that there are three trills on the 4th course and one on the
   5th but
   obviously because of the left-hand fingering there are fewer
   opportunities
   to fit in ornamentation.
   Monica
> [...]
   >   The high octave of the 5th course acts as a bass and a treble at
   the
   >   same time.
   >   Seventeenth-century guitarists wanted to exploit this possibility,
   but
   >   unfortunately there were times when they wanted notes to be heard
   only
   >   at one octave. Either they wanted just the low octave for a bass
   note,
   >   and had to put up with the high octave interfering with the treble
   line
   >   (as described recently by Monica), or they wanted just the high
   octave,
   >   and had to tolerate unwanted bourdons creeping in below.
   >   The various ways of stringing the baroque guitar are attempts to
   >   overcome this basic dilemma. It seems that composers writing
   serious
   >   pieces for the guitar wanted to exploit the melodic possibilities
   of
   >   the
   >   upper octave notes, but felt hampered by the bourdons. Reverse
   >   stringing, having no bourdon at the fifth, or at the fourth and
   fifth
   >   courses, are all attempts to purify the sound. As Monica says,
   quoting
   >   Sanz, removing the bourdons will sweeten the sound. We cannot tell
   from
   >   Sanz whether or not it was a new idea, but it certainly implies
   that at
   >   least some guitarists were using bourdons in the 1670s.
   >   Unfortunately we have little evidence to know what each guitarist
   did.
   >   am grateful to Monica for writing:
   >   "The only reference to reverse stringing is in Ruiz de Ribayaz in
   1677
   >   .. the earliest mention of the "French" tuning is in 1670 ..."
   >   Is that really all we have to go on? Is there nothing written about
   >   stringing before 1670? If that is the case, no wonder there is so
   much
   >   controversy. Without evidence, we are forced to rely on our
   intuition,
   >   and to try to glean what we can from the music itself (hence my
   >   question
   >   about trills notated at the 4th and 5th courses, and my mention of
   high
   >   notes on the 4th and 5th courses in Sanz' Pavanas).
   >   Sometimes the answer is obvious. For example, in his recording of
   music
   >   by Franc,ois Campion (Arion ARN68483) Michel Amoricis unfortunately
   has
   >   bourdon at the fifth course, which wreaks havoc with the
   campanellas.
   >   Other times it is less clear what we should do. By coming to
   different
   >   conclusions, we may be duplicating what actually happened in the
   17th
   >   century, when guitarists will have had their own preferences,

   [5]http://uk.mc263.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.
   uk